Join us on Saturday, April 6th, 2019 from 9AM to 4PM for the Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference at the University of the District of Columbia School of Law, 4340 Connecticut Avenue, NW hosted by the DC Chapter of National Lawyers Guild.
Keynote Speaker: John C. Brittain, Acting Dean of UDC David A. Clarke School of Law, previous dean of Thurgood Marshall School of Law, previous Chief Counsel and Senior Deputy Director of Lawyer’s Committee for Civil Rights Under Law.
- Student Session: Life After Law School.
- International issues and the NLG Role: Venezuela, Cuba, Palestine.
- Worker’s Rights: Obtaining Backpay for Forloughed Federal Workers. (featuring Robert DePriest, Kalijarvi, attorney at Chuzi, Newman & Fitch P.C.)
- Voting rights (featuring speaker Barbara Arnwine, former executive director of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law from 1989 to 2015.)
- CLE Program: Providing Legal Representation to Protestors in Criminal Court (2 hours)
Food: Breakfast and lunch will be provided.
- 9:00 AM – Registration and tabling by organizations & committees; Light breakfast
- 9:30 AM – Welcome remarks by Elena Cohen (NLG President).
- 10:00 – 11:15 AM Workshops I
- Workshop I Panels: Student Session (“Life after Law School”); and International Topics & the NLG Role: Venezuela, Cuba, Palestine
- 11:15 – 11:30 AM Break
- 11:30 – 1:00 PM LUNCHTIME Program.
- Keynote Remarks by Interim UDC Dean John Brittain, speaking on “Movement Lawyering”.
- “Pop-up” reports by designated committees such as Mass Defense Committee; DC NLG Litigation Fund, and other projects (30 mins); Election of new Regional co-VP; other business.
- 1:15 – 2:30 PM Workshops II
- Workshop II Panels: Voting Rights, Criminal Law CLE: “Representing Protesters in DC and Maryland” (2-1/2 hour CLE)
- 2:45 – 4:00 PM Workshops III
- Workshop III Panels: Employment Law workshop: Redressing the Rights of Furloughed Workers
- Continuation of Criminal Law CLE: Representing Protesters in DC and Maryland
- 4:00 PM: Adjourn to Happy Hour
- 7:00 – 10:00 PM: UDC “Dancing with the Deans” Gala (UDC Student Center)